Home Page Calendar Newsletter Contact Us
The story of Quaker Meadows
“Before there was Burke County or North Carolina, or even the United States, there was Quaker Meadows Presbyterian Church.”

We are a family focused congregation of 85 members and although we are small, we have a reputation of having a very big heart.

We are members of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) which is characterized as a confessional and connectional church. Our oldest confessions are the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed. Our connectional nature is based on our belief that the will of God is best understood and the work of God’s kingdom in this world is best accomplished as we partner with other believers, wherever they may be.

A little of our history:

We believe that we are the oldest Presbyterian Church in Burke County, having been established in 1774. Richard L. Morgan, says this at the beginning of the first chapter of his book, Founded on the Rock: A History of Quaker Meadows Presbyterian Church: "Before there was Burke County or North Carolina, or even the United States, there was Quaker Meadows Presbyterian Church."

During the early part of the 18th century, settlers from the northern colonies as well as from England, Scotland and Germany came south, through the Shenandoah Valley, along the Great Wagon Road and arrived in the Catawba River Valley. Scotch-Irish families by the names of: Avery, Duckworth, Erwin, Grady, Greenlee, Harbison, McDowell, McElrath, McGimpsy, Morrison, O’Neill and Ross — just to name a few — were among those who arrived here. And in 1774, guided by an unknown itinerant preacher who traveled the frontier on horseback, the Presbyterians in this area founded the congregation we now know as Quaker Meadows Presbyterian on land donated to them by Charles and Grace Greenlee McDowell.

We have a historic cemetery on our property which provides an eternal resting place for folks from the frontier days and Revolutionary War times up to the present. Many of the names listed in the paragraph above can be found on the headstones and monuments of the cemetery. One notable monument is dedicated to Robert Penland, who was one of this church's first elder and who fought in the Battle of King's Mountain during the Revolutionary War.

Quaker Meadows Presbyterian Church | 2698 NC Highway 181 | Morganton, NC 28655
Rev. Yvonne M. Thurmond, Pastor | 828-433-4845 | yvonnethurmond@att.net